Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Contract Act_Practical Problems_44

Anil agrees with Gopal to let out the house under construction and obtains an advance for the purpose. The house is, however, requisitioned by Government and, therefore, Anil is unable to honour his promise. What are the rights of Gopal against Anil? Can Gopal recover damages for breach of contract?

No- Gopal cannot recover damages for breach of contract. The problem in question relates to Section 56 of the Indian Contract Act. According to Section 56, a contract becomes void in the event of supervening/subsequent impossibility as to its performance. As the house is requisitioned by the Government (assuming under the legitimate powers). Anil shall be excused of his obligations, the contract becoming void under Section 56. However, Gopal can claim refund of the advance made by him to Anil. Section 65, in this regard, provides that when an agreement becomes void, any person who has received any advantage under such agreement or contract is bound to restore it.

No comments: